Sunday, January 07, 2007

How God Meets Our Deepest Needs

Church today. It was good I guess. If your definition of "good" includes crying like a little sniveling girl.

I don't know about you, but when God whispers to me -- and you always know when it's Him -- I am almost always moved to tears. Maybe not the bawling, snot-running, red-faced kind of tears (not often, anyway), but moved enough to need a Kleenex and mess up my mascara.

My heart kind of gets all big and swollen and I cant' stop smiling and I find myself crying.

I'm not a big crier. I guess with all the freakin' responsibilities I have, it just isn't an option. You have to try to keep it all together, you know? I think maybe we feel sometimes like if we start "losing it", we won't be able to stop and the world will fall apart or something.

But when God puts His arm around me and starts talking sweet and low, I melt a little. He's telling me I'm not alone -- no, not ever. And He's telling me He loves me way more than I could ever imagine. And He's telling me that He is completely in my corner no matter how much I think I screw up, no matter how much I actually do screw up. He's my Man, my Daddy, my Friend and I'm His girl.

Cool.

That's how it was today. Just an ordinary Sunday service, but all the words I really really needed to hear. Isn't it funny that when you hear them, and they get all up inside you, it's almost a surprise, because you didn't even know you needed to hear them.

But God did.

As my baby boy, Rain would say. Cool. Cool, cool, cool.


One of God's many names in the Bible is Jehovah Shammah. It's in Ezekiel 48:35 and it means God is Here. Always and forever. Always present, now.
May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit. Romans 15:13
That's my prayer for all of us, hope. His hope. None like it!

No comments:

Post a Comment